Thursday, September 6, 2012

I dunno

I bought Vogue 1315 right after the new Fall line came out and they went on sale at JoAnn's. Then I started keeping my eyes peeled for a good knit to make it up in! Last weekend when the clearance fabrics at JoAnn's went and extra 1/2 off, I took a quick look and found a Project Runway rayon knit, which I got for only $3.50 a yard (normally $12.99)! I snatched it up, even though I knew there wasn't quite as much as the pattern envelope suggested. I shortened the sleeves out of necessity because of my fabric shortage and here's how it turned out:
I was pretty excited about it while making it, but in the end, I'm just not sure it's me. It's an edgier look than my usual vintage, softer style, but that's not really the problem. I don't know that it flatters me very well. It's a little too blousey up top. I like it styled with the belt and boots, but I wish it were a more versatile piece, I guess. If I made it again, I would take in the side/underarm seam in a little so it fit closer on top. It will definitely get worn, but maybe not as often as I wanted, since I have to belt it.

What do you think? I'd appreciate some honest opinions!

11 comments:

  1. I like it! I agree that it may not be the style you are used to but it looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I love being honest....anyway, I think it looks great. I agree with Betty. And I always think if something looks good and it feels good, then it is you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really truly think it looks beautiful on you. Different or "variety" is the spice of life right? You should definitely wear it and more often than you think :)
    Love it and love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think this looks bad on you, it's very trendy though, and if you like the vintage look it may take some getting used to. I think that Vogue patterns generally run a little big; the pattern picture depicts a somewhat less blousey and shorter hem outcome. Your version with the belt is much cuter than without, as their model wears it. Honestly, I wouldn't change the fit of your dress, it looks great on you. Can't see the pockets, do they stand out a little? Love the boots with this, too! Great Dress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this looks great on you too! From the picture, though, I can tell you don't like it. But you styled it nicely, and I hope it grows on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! The belt looks wonderful with it as well. If I remember correctly, you tend to wear items more fitted/less blousey through the torso - maybe that's why you're not feeling it? It really looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This dress looks really pretty on you. Sometimes baggy dresses are great for days you just want to be comfy. Well done anyways and glad I have just found your blog look forward to seeing more creations!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I LOVE this dress! You can pass it on to me if you'd like... I would wear it a lot! :) just sayin;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a fresh new look for you and looks amazing with the belt and boots. It may not be an at-home style, but your wardrobe needs "kick-up-your-heels" togs too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The look is a bit different than what you're usually wearing I think (I ran through pictures of your blog to be able to compare ;)), but the dress does look very good on you, in my humble opinion. I do have a question though: do you wear those colours more often? The pictures I looked through were also a bit different in colour I think, a bit brighter.

    ReplyDelete